A resident tests a bicycle in Portland from the Nice Ride bike sharing system in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Photo by BikePortland.
Fran Spielman of the Chicago Sun-Times reports today that the selection process to select a bike sharing manufacturer and operator (“vendor”) is “tainted”, according to Bike Chicago owner Josh Squire. You may be more familiar with the name Bike & Roll, which operates many bicycle rental facilities on the lakefront, as well as the Millennium Park Bike Station (McDonald’s Cycle Center) on behalf of the city.
The complaint centers around several alleged improprieties and failures to follow the city’s own procurement rules: possible discussions that commissioner Gabe Klein had with Alta Planning + Design president Mia Birk at the gala both John and I attended back in October 2011. (I must note that Alta Planning and Alta Bicycle Share are separate corporations.) The complaint also regards the quick turnaround time for the first request for proposals and that a second request for proposals canceled the first and without explanation.
Full disclosure: Bike and Park is a sponsor of Grid Chicago and is affiliated with Bike Chicago and Bike & Roll.
- A game of cat & mouse: revisiting John’s old CBF cartoons
- Protest against low transit funding on Wednesday is directed at the wrong audience
- Bike counts are important to businesses and in evaluating our progress
- Grid Shots: Skyline edition
- Pix from the Gapers Block crits
- A sneak peek at the exhibition “Bikes! The Green Revolution”
- Bike count projects in Chicago: two short video interviews
- An outsider’s Chicago bike itineraries
- Importance of hit-and-run crash deaths in the news media
Most Popular Posts
- Resner and Greenfield reclaim the CTA riding crown from the British champ
- The case of the disappearing bike lane
- Grounds for celebration: Chicago’s first bike & coffee shop is almost open
- Good news in the update about the Damen-Elston-Fullerton intersection design
- CTA launches train tracker with text messaging
- Events on April 9, 2012
Friends of the Lakefront Trail visioning workshop (north side)
From 6:30 PM
To 8:30 PM
Where Margate Park Fieldhouse (4921 N. Marine Drive)
- Events on April 18, 2012
Friends of the Lakefront Trail visioning workshop (south side)
From 6:30 PM
To 8:30 PM
Where Jackson Park Fieldhouse (6401 S. Stony Island Ave.)
- Events on June 30, 2012
9th Annual Bike the Boulevard event with 12th Ward Alderman George Cardenas
From 9:00 AM
To 2:00 PM
Info Grant permission to Alderman George A. Cardenas, 2458 West 38th Street, to close traffic on South Western Boulevard, beginning at 4555 South Western Boulevard (Home Depot), proceeding North-bound on Western Boulevard, continuing onto the boulevard system, crossing California Avenue, untilWest 24th Street, stopping at the parking lot of Spry School,2400 South Marshall.Boulevard, and ending at 4555 South Western Boulevard (Home Depot), for the 9th Annual Bike the Boulevard Event on Saturday, June 30,2012, from 9:00 am to 2:00pm.
Contribute your photos to our Flickr group.